Monday, June 29, 2009

It's about time

I finally got my hands on a bottle of Mountain Dew Throwback. I searched all over the South Bay back in California and couldn't find anything. However, I just ran out for a few slices of pizza and spotted a row of bottles in the pizzeria. I excitedly grabbed one and rushed home to try it. I mean, c'mon, pizza and Mountain Dew is a top combination.

First off, the most appealing thing about Mountain Dew Throwback is the design of the logo. It's much nicer than the new modern crap they've started sticking on the bottles and cans. And now for the hilariousness that is me trying to describe and critique food. Anyway, as for the taste - Throwback is sweeter (as you might expect), which cuts down on that tart/bitter kick you get when it hits the back of your mouth. Some people may welcome it, while I found myself missing that familiar tingle. To it's credit though, I will say that Throwback feels smoother when it goes down your throat, like a well brewed beer. Also, I would say that a sip of Throwback is self-contained satisfaction, meaning each drop gives you the taste and feeling that you want. Typically I guzzle down 8-15ozs of the regular Dew before I feel satisfied. I think ideally I'd like both versions to remain as options. While I'd likely drink the regular Dew more frequently, it'd be nice to have some Throwback as a break every now and again.

I poured a little into a glass and asked my mom to try it. In a glass Throwback looks lighter in color and slightly more natural, compared to the nearly nuclear look of regular Dew. My mom took a sip and immediately exclaimed "that's retro" and dove into the story of how when she was pregnant the nurses told her not to drink coffee, and then someone asked if she had tried this new thing called "Mountain Dew". Misunderstanding the context my mom thought Mountain Dew had no caffeine in it and replaced her frequent coffee drinking with the Dew, so as to not damage her unborn son. So I may not have been born in a cross-fire hurricane, or under a bad sign, but I was born with Dew in my veins.

It's safe to say that it's worked out well for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment