Friday, June 19, 2009

One Two Punch

My mom is sleeping in the living room on the pullout couch because she isn't able to climb the stairs up to her room yet.
I was in the kitchen eating Oreos and milk for the first time in way too long.

Even though it was 20 after 1 in the morning, my mom was awake watching TV thanks to everyone's favorite corticosteroid - prednisone. Suddenly my mom says out loud, either to herself or to me, "I don't believe it. I found the Rocky Horror Picture Show." I peaked my head in to see that it was just about time to enter the Time Warp. I ran back, grabbed my milk and a few cookies and re-entered the living room just in time to jump to the left.

During the number I mentioned to mom that if we don't do the Time Warp at Mike's wedding in August, or even if we do, it will certainly happen at my wedding. So for all you single girls stalking me by reading this, that's wedding hint #2 for ya.

After doing the Time Warp I asked my mom if she thought that there was a better back to back of songs in a musical than the currently in progress Time Warp/Sweet Transvestite pairing. She didn't have another contender to offer.

Think about all of your favorite musicals. Sure they have a couple of great songs but they're usually far away from each other. "The Oldest Established" and "Luck Be A Lady" in Guys & Dolls; "You Won't Succeed on Broadway" and "His Name is Lancelot" in Spamalot (as examples). The Rocky Horror Picture Show puts two of it's best songs back to back with only about 5 lines of dialogue in between, and while those lines are being said the beat for the next song is already starting to creep up in the background.


If you think you know a better musical 1, 2 punch let me know. But it's going to be tough to beat doing the Time Warp with a Sweet Transvestite.

No comments:

Post a Comment