Thursday, June 11, 2009

I'm bringing breakfast back

I've been back in New York for almost a week now, and my sister and I have started to work out a bit of a routine of responsibilities. One of mine is being in charge of breakfast and bringing it to the hospital. As much as I hate waking up early, and everyone who knows me knows that I do, there is a silver lining - breakfast.

Now we're not talking a bowl of cereal, or complimentary bagels and spreads at Google or anything like that. Not even my beloved McDonald's breakfast. No. I've been running to my (former) local bagel store. Fantastic. Yes, technically I don't live in New York City but that doesn't mean that the bagels aren't delicious. Unfortunately in this picture you can't tell how delicious the bagels are because they mistakenly put my bacon and egg with ketchup on a roll (like my sister's sandwich), but it was still wonderful.

And worry not dear readers, I have already had 2 other bacon and egg sandwiches which were placed on the proper carrier. Nesquik chocolate milk - fortified with calcium - makes a perfect breakfast companion drink. While it is more nutritious, I'm not going to lie, a previous breakfast was made more enjoyable by substituting a Yoo-Hoo. Also pictured is the unsung hero of why breakfast rules - the double chocolate chip muffin. It tastes as good as it looks, maybe better, to account for the fact that you may not have natural 20/20 vision.


Breakfast has been just yum, especially getting it at one of those great local places in my "old" town. It makes me feel good to be home, like I was back to those oh so carefree days without a worry just looking for something delicious to eat. The feeling doesn't last that long because pulling up to the hospital always acts as a somber reminder, but ordering, standing in line and those first bites are a comforting way to start the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment