Sunday, June 28, 2009

These Moments

It was one of those nights down in New York City. Without explaining the whole night (mostly because I'm tired and have no patience to explain all the plots and sub-plots of the evening), let me cut to the part that makes me happiest.

My friend Tim drops my sister and I off at home, somewhere around quarter to 4 in the morning. We walk into the house together as I am asking her if she is still hungry. She says yes, take my car and get me some food. My mother, who is still sleeping/living in the living room while she recovers, is slightly awake thanks to the side effects of everyone's favorite corticosteroid - prednisone - she asks me to pick up a copy of the Daily News and if I'm at a gas station, a Joey's black and white cookie. I take the keys, some cash and I'm off.

On my way I witness 2 different cars being pulled over by state troopers. For those of you in California (or elsewhere) let me explain what a New York State Trooper is. It's like a CHiPS officer or your local cop, if they had a nearly unlimited jurisdiction, supreme authority and didn't care about your feelings if you cried when they pulled you over for speeding. And if that doesn't work for you let me put it this way - they (many of them) drive supped up Camaros which are capable of catching your "pimped out" Honda Civic no matter how many inches you lowered it or how big of a stupid fucking ass spoiler you put on the back of it. Got that Fast and the Furious?

Anyway, after collecting the Sunday paper and a pair of Joey's black and whites (not bakery fresh but a definite #2 after Zarros) I headed on to the local 24 hour McDonalds. Or as it would be perhaps called on the West Coast - ..., honestly I have no idea what they'd call it. Magic burger joint? Intergalatic time warp food spot? How you can't find anything open after 11pm astounds the hell out of me, so a 24 hour fast food place would confuse the hell out of them so bad that people would stop driving hybrid cars and eating tofu just out of sure mental fucktatood from something so alien entering their grey matter. While waiting for my food I tuned in to the presets on my sister's XM radio and found "She's got a girlfriend now" by Reel Big Fish and gleefully sang along.

Unfortunately, XM get's pretty poor reception and I had to sit many a minute listening to radio static instead of the song - joy. I was finally able to pull all the way in (that's what she said) and pay for and collect my order. On the way out of the drive thru back on to the main road I tuned into the 90s station, where I heard "Step by Step", the ultra incredible dance tune that should live forever (and if it's up to me will) by New Kids on the Block. At this point there was only one thing to do...

Put the windows down and crank that bad boy while singing at the top of your lungs. I now have a sore throat and likely won't be able to speak tomorrow, but you know what? It was all worth it - that song is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment