Friday, May 1, 2009

Searching for Mr. Wright

Tonight, I did what I previously thought was the unthinkable. I just got so tired of him dragging me down, and I knew that I had to make a change.

I benched David Wright in my ESPN Fantasy Baseball League.

All of the strikeouts, the 1 home run, the lack of RBI production - I need more. I know he's trying to make me happy, making small gestures like stealing a base when he eventually gets on, but while I appreciate them, it's not enough.

Last week I was in 4th place making a strong push towards 3rd thanks to a string of three or four days with double digit run and rbi numbers and a daily batting average over .300. But now, tomorrow morning I'll find myself in 8th, rbi and average numbers way down.

It's all happened so fast, but I had to make a decision before things got worse. Don't get me wrong, it was a tough decision. Playing in Citizen's Bank Sandbox in Philidelphia against Chan-Ho Park? Last year that kind of matchup would have me giddy with excitement at the propsect of a 3 for 4 2R, 2RBI line. Now I fear an 0-3 2K night. It's the hardest job a fantasy manager has to do, take personal feelings out of the equation and do what's best for the ball club.

But you know how men are, as soon as you make your decision to move on they suddenly call, or do something sweet like go 2-3 with a 3 run homer in a crucial part of the game just to make you think about them all over again. I'll admit, I do hope that somewhere down the line he can be in my lineup again, but I just think that right now, I'm not ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment