Sunday, May 10, 2009

For the mommies

Mother's Day seems like a very different, special, kind of holiday. For daughters it may not be all that different from other holidays, but as a son I see it as something else. Turn on the TV around Mother's Day and you'll see really smart men, really tough men, really rich men, really cool men, etc. all doing the same thing - looking a bit flustered, vulnerable and emotional and thanking their moms.

It almost seems like an alternate reality, a good 95% of the male population goes soft for the day and thanks their moms for everything. The lists are always endless, "my mom always made sure I had lunch money"; "my mom worked 2 jobs so we could have new clothes for school"; "my mom inspired me to go back to school" and in then end, we (males) come away realizing that no matter what we've done in life, no matter how big and strong, or smart or wealthy or whatever, we got there in large part because of the sacrifices our mom's made to provide for us. While it may be in our nature to take it for granted, or downplay their significance, on this one day we suck it up and break down to tell our moms that they are appreciated.

This year I made a custom Mother's Day card for my mom. Okay, so everyone is probably saying "so what? I made one of those in the 2nd grade." which is true, but not one like this. Hallmark ran a great promotion where you could pick one of their Mother's Day cards and customize it for your mom. I can't say that I've been blessed with insane amounts of talent in any area, but one thing I think I can do is write. No joke it took me 48 minutes to write the card, figure out what I wanted to say, how I wanted to say it and then make it look all nice and pretty. In the end I listened to 3 songs for inspiration, went through about a half dozen tissues and had to make the card 2 times (because I wasn't logged in the first time). I think it came out great and my mom liked it (how many times have you said that line in your life?) which means it was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment