Saturday, May 2, 2009

Up All Night, Sleep All Day

There's a good chance you don't remember this 80s gem from the band Slaughter and honestly until tonight I hadn't really given it much thought either. However, when I look around at 1:30 in the morning and realize that I'm back in an empty apartment after spending an evening out with friends at a pretty cool bar (classic dive with free nuts) I can't help but think that this optimizes how we (myself and the WC crew) spent our summers. We'd close down bars, in our town, in your town, in some town we'd never heard of before, hit up one of our fantastic 24 hour dinners (usually Mohegan) sleep in and do it all over again the next night.

I miss that. Out here there aren't a plethora of dinners, and there are very few places open past midnight. But I guess the biggest difference is the feeling. Out here, I'm alone, I don't know what's what or how things function. Back home, sure it's cocky to say, but we had a good handle on the scene. We knew where to go, which places were best and we were quasi celebrities wherever we went. Even in NYC, we could show up at a bar and feel like we were the kings of the place. Each one of us had spent our formative years with at least 2 others in the group, and we're as close as family. Out here, it's so different. I'm lost, confused, unsure of myself and at home before the bars close.

I'm not really sure where this is going, I suppose all I mean to say is that tonight I realized "I just miss my friend(s)" (Shawshank Redemption). Can't wait to see you all again in Vegas and hope you guys know I much I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment