Friday, October 29, 2010

Newly thought thoughts on language

I'm not a linguist, nor a stickler for grammar, although I do abhor poorly spelled and confusing emails, text messages and IMs. It's no secret that one of the horrible side-effects of the internet and the constantly in-touch environment it's created is the assault on language. From IM speak, the DrEaDeD 14 year old girl misuse of capitalization and so much more, it's clear that whether or not people are actually dumber on the whole than they used to be, they sound it.
I'll be honest, and you can call it snobbish or elitist if you like, but when I get a piece of electronic communication, either text or email or IM, and it has spelling mistakes and bad grammar, I see it as a negative reflection on the person. Now maybe that was beaten into me by Google, since as "customer support" i.e. non-outsourced tech support over email, we were held to very high standards of grammar, but I'd like to think that my position was already developing organically without their glossaries and style guides. That said, I do owe them thanks for their monitoring and reviewing to ensure the quality of my work.
I recently spent some time in London, a land known for it's accents, "proper-ness" and great writing. Shakespeare, Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore, Agatha Christie, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and more (Dickens intentionally left out because of "Great Expectations"). While studying there with friends, neither art director nor writer alike could resist the urge to examine our own speech patterns, the words we choose, the flow and pace of our sentences and the style in which it is all presented in. It was truly a revelation to hear things said in a way that makes them sound more important and wondrous than they really are. It's a great power to be able to engage someone in the mundane, simply with the way you frame it.

When it comes down to it, that's why I decided to become a writer.

Last night I was watching an old black and white movie, "The Dead of Night" with my mother on Turner Classic Movies. It was remarkable to listen to the dialogue, both narrative to move the plot along as well as the more interesting aspects such as compliments, insults and jokes. I found it inspiring and fascinating and hope to incorporate some phrases or at the very least some of the flow of the dialogue into both my own writing as well as my everyday speech because, truthfully, it just sounds better, classier and has a very attractive style to it.

It beats the hell out of OMG! Did u c the latest Jersey Shore? It'd def be cool to have someone like Snooki as my bff.

No comments:

Post a Comment