Sunday, August 15, 2010

Don't Stop Me Now

Before I came over to England I developed a theory. Well really it wasn't a theory just something I really hoped was true. What was it that I came up with?

"Don't stop me now" by Queen is to England what "Livin' on a prayer" by Bon Jovi is to NY/NJ.

I wanted this to be true so badly. Based on the classic scene in Shaun of the Dead, and that great wedding video that some couple in England had done featuring the song, I thought this crazy hope/theory of mine had a chance.

Now the first instance where I experienced the song, in England, with a large crowd around, was when I saw the musical, We Will Rock You. People were excited but it was hard to tell if it was purely based on the song because the whole musical is great (as is Queen's catalog). But that's not what I was looking for.

Then, this past Saturday night we were in a lounge/club/bar in Hoxton Square. At the beginning the place didn't seem like much, but then the girls decided to move the group into the room with the dance floor. The dj there was playing some great 80s/90s pop and hip hop and there was no way to resist dancing.

So after a few (classic) songs I was really pumped. And then it happened...I heard the first few notes.

I immediately froze and looked around. The dance floor was still packed and it was now time to test my theory. Would the Brits react as I had thought/hopped?

The answer came quickly and was rather anticlimactic. Everyone immediately started singing along, jumping around and dancing. And at the end of the song, everyone started swaying and singing the "la la laas".

It was great, not only to be validated but also (as I mentioned) because the song is great and since my answer came so quickly and obviously, I was able to join in on the fun.

That song is definitely going on the wedding playlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment